Stop Food Waste Day is an annual event first introduced in 2017 with the mission to halve food waste by 2030. The annual event takes place this year on the 29th April. By cutting the amount of food we waste each year, we all benefit. From helping to reduce our impact on climate change to aiding the sustainability of our oceans.
So how big is the Food waste problem? Its massive, did you know for example that 8% of all greenhouse gas emissions each year are due to food loss and waste? And in the UK, 160,000 tonnes of milk is poured down the drain each year due to it not being used in time? 250,000 tonnes of the food that goes to waste each year is still edible – that’s enough for 650 million meals.
An awesome way to reduce food waste is by being smart with what you purchase and think about batch cooking.
So how about thinking ahead and make some tasty Freezer Chicken Fajitas?
It’s really simple, and this recipe should give you 6 meals.
- 900g boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cut into strips.
- 4 medium-sized sweet bell peppers – Sliced.
- 1 large onion – sliced.
- 2 large cloves of garlic – diced and sliced.
- 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Juice of 1 Lime.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder.
- 2 teaspoons cumin.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes.
If you haven’t got some of the above spices don’t worry.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix so all the chicken and peppers are covered.
- Portion out into 6.
- Place in freezer bags for up to three months.
- When ready, get it out the night before and allow to thaw in the fridge.
- When ready cook in a a large pan on the stove for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked properly and the peppers are tender,
- Serve on wraps or rice with some tasty toppings like shredded cheese, salsa and a bit of guacamole.